Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Final Crisis: Requiem Review

"Caretakers of Mars"
Written by Peter J. Tomasi
Art by Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy

Final Crisis Requiem was a very interesting tie-in. It really expands on the events of what happened in the first issue of Final Crisis and is really beautifully written and truly moving. I enjoy it when I get to see characters narrate their own death because it adds a greater sense of closure to John’s life. I enjoyed the approach DC used within this tie-in in that the tie-in actually expanded the story of John and wasn't just a way to cash in on John's death. I can't stress enough how much I enjoyed how Requiem expanded the story from Final Crisis. It really works in tandem with what Morrison started. The one fault in this issue is that some of the flashback scenes seem to drag a bit. It is very hard to review this issue because I will just end up pointing out the fact that I liked pretty much everything and then I would throw in one minor critic to keep myself honest. Rather than do that I'll be as concise as possible and a bit redundant as well. This comic will probably win best of the week, it was very well written, the art is fantastic, and Requiem really does give Manhunter the best sendoff. The best moment was John rallying and making the villains think that they are being killed by their enemies [or getting felt up by Batman in Talia's case], the worst moment was the "My favorite Martian" joke by Green Arrow which wasn't that bad but just cheesy. This was a great comic that really expanded the first issue of Final Crisis and was a worthy tie-in. Hopefully DC does the right thing and let John stay dead for a bit longer as to not negate this issue within a year or so which would really be a crime.

Art: PHENOM
Overall: OWN IT

No comments:

Post a Comment